History

Jessie Mackison graveJessie Mackison

1827 - 1857

Mrs Mackison’s unhappy claim to fame is that hers was the first burial in the new cemetery after its opening in 1857.  She was married to Francis Mackison, a local architect of note, some of whose work can be seen in Bridge of Allan and Menstrie. He was responsible for part of the alterations to Cowane’s Hospital in 1852 and many of the houses in the King’s Park area of Stirling are examples of his handiwork.